Eeeep! I just signed my 2nd largest art licensing contract of my career. I’ve been getting asked by a few people so I thought I would share in hopes of helping some other artists / graphic designers / photographers.
HOW TO SELL YOUR ART / ILLUSTRATIONS / PAINTINGS / GRAPHIC DESIGNS / PHOTOGRAPHY
1. Sell on your own site (most profit). Get your own dot com and use Shopify to sell. Easy peasy! You make and sell your products yourself. I pay $29.00 a month for my shopify store to run.
2. Sell on Etsy (your original handmade created product, fees can add up once you hit $10,000.00+ and offsite ads kick in)
3. License your art to online retailers (you get royalties for sales)
4. Sell on Spoonflower (your original illustrated patterns)
5. Create and sell art outright for one large payment, no royalties.
6. Sell on RedBubble (such a great site to sell all over the world and get noticed by art licensees) I just set up my shop and sold over 5 items already! Germany, USA, etc. You get a royalty when you sell an item.
7. Sell your art at art fairs or craft shows (think small $5 items if at a craft show in a small town)
8. License your art to manufacturers (Licensees) most times you will agree upon a percentage that can be anywhere from 6%-9% of profit.
9. Sell on Creative Market. If you create “clip art” or mockup photos this is a great place to sell.
10. Society6 upload art or photos and sit back and get paid.
11. Threadless is another place to upload your art and get paid.
12. Zazzle is a super popular known place to get multiple products. Upload and forget it. Pay flows in!
CUSTOM – sell custom art and designs. Be “for hire” with your photography. This is how I started. Custom house paintings, custom portraits illustrated or photos, custom dog portraits, custom art for wedding stationery, custom paintings of anything your clients wants.
DRIBBLE is a great place to show your work! An online portfolio.
PAYPAL set up an account so you can get paid by all licensees.
SOCIAL MEDIA – Be sure you have your social media channels set up and be active. Instagram, Facebook business page are a must!
PODCAST – Andy J. Pizza. He is an illustrator and shares a wealth of knowledge. So much fun to listen to him while cleaning up art in photoshop.
HAVE FUN!!! As a creator you know you NEED and want to keep creating for your creative soul to be satisfied. Listen to your creative self and get creating! xo
Leave a Reply